- Alves, J.H.G.M. Numerical Modeling of Ocean Swell Contributions to the Global Wind-Wave Climate. Ocean Modelling. Vol. 11 (1-2), 98-122, 2006.(Online Abstract)
- Tolman, H.L., J.H.G.M. Alves & Y.Y. Chao. Operational forecasting of wind generated waves by hurricane Isabel at NCEP. Weather and Forecasting. In press, 2004.
- Chao, Y.Y., J.H.G.M. Alves & H.L. Tolman. An Operational System for Predicting Hurricane-Generated Wind Waves in the North Atlantic Ocean. Weather and Forecasting. Vol. 20 (4), 652.671, 2005.
- Tolman, H.L. & J.H.G.M. Alves. Numerical modeling of wind waves generated by tropical cyclones using moving grids. Ocean Modelling. Vol. 9 (4), 305-323, 2005. (Online abstract)
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & I. R. Young. On Estimating Extreme Wave Heights using Combined Geosat, Topex/Poseidon and ERS-1 Altimeter Data. Applied Ocean Research, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 167-186, 2004. (Online Abstract)
- Alves, J.H.G.M., Banner, ML & Young, IR. Revisiting the Pierson-Moskowitz asymptotic limits of fully-developed wind waves. J. Physical Oceanography, Vol. 33, 1301-1323, July 2003. (Online Abstract)
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & M.L. Banner. Performance of a saturation-based dissipation-rate source term in modeling the fetch-limited evolution of wind waves. J. Physical Oceanography, Vol. 33, 1274-1298, June 2003. (Online Abstract)
- Alves, J.H.G.M., Greenslade, D. \& Banner, ML. Impact of a saturation-dependent dissipation source function on operational hindcasts of wind waves in the Australian region. Global Atmosphere-Ocean Systems, v. 8, n.4, p. 239-267, 2002.
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & E. Melo, E. Measurement and modelling of wind waves at the northern coast of Santa Catarina. Brazilian Journal of Oceanography. v. 49, n. 1/2, p. 13-28, 2001. (pdf file, 2.1Mb)
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & Melo, E On the measurement of directional wave spectra at the Southern Brazilian Coast. Applied Ocean Research, Vol. 21 (6): 295-309. 1999. (Online Abstract)
Ad Hoc Reviews
- Journal of Physical Oceanography, 2002, 2005.
- Brazilian Journal of Oceanography, 2003.
- Tellus A, 2003.
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 2004.
- Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 2005.
- Ocean Modelling, 2005.
- Alves, JHGM. Forecasting Hurricane-Generated Wind Waves at NOAA/NCEP. 8TH International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting, Oahu, Hawaii, 2004.
- Alves, JHGM. Recent developments in hurricane-generated wave forecasting at NCEP/NOAA. Waves in Shallow Water Environments Group (WISE) Meeting, Reading, UK, 2004.
- Alves, JHGM. and F.V. Branco. A numerical modeling technique for studying the contribution of ocean swell to the global wind-wave climate. Waves in Shallow Water Environments Group (WISE) Meeting, Florianopolis, Brazil, 2003.
- Alves, J.H.G.M., & Banner, ML Modeling spectral dissipation in the evolution of wind waves. Proc. 27th ASCE International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE2000). Sydney, Australia, July 2000.
- Alves, J.H.G.M., & Young, IR Extreme significant wave heights from combiined satellite altimeter data. Proc. 27th ASCE International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE2000). Sydney, Australia, July 2000.
- Alves, J.H.G.M., Greenslade, D. & Banner, M. L. Impact of a saturation-dependent dissipation source term on the skill of an operational wind-wave model. Proc. 6th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. Monterey, CA, USA. November, 2000.
- Alves, J.H.G.M., Young, IR & Banner, ML Global estimates of significant wave height return values from combined satellite altimeter data. Proceedings of the International Conference on Satellites, Society and Oceanography. Lisbon, Portugal, August 1998.
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & Melo, E Numerical Modeling of the Refraction of Wind Wave Spectra on the Southern Brazilian Coast. MODSIM 97, Tasmania, Australia. Book of Proceedings, Vol. 4: 1778-1782. 1997. (online version)
- Melo, E.& Alves, J.H.G.M. . Refracao do espectro direcional de ondas na costa de Sao Francisco do Sul, SC. [Refraction of directional wave spectra at the coast of Sao Francisco do Sul, Brazil] Proceedings: II Seminario de Ondas e Mares e I Simposio Sobre Engenharia Oceanica. Instituto de Estudos do Mar Alte. Paulo Moreira, Arraial do Cabo, Brazil. 1997.
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & Melo, E. Calculation of directional frequency spectra of wind waves through combined Fourier transform and maximum entropy methods. Proceedings: 1997 Joint Assemblies IAMAS & IAPSO. Melbourne, Australia, 1997.
- Melo, E. & Alves, J.H.G.M. Instrumental confirmation of the existence of North Atlantic swell at the Ceara Coast, Northern Brazil. Book of Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Port and Coastal Engineering in Developing Countries (COPEDEC), Rio de Janeiro. Vol. 3: 1984-1996. 1995.
- Alves, J.H.G.M. & E. Melo. Tracking long traveled swell with gnomonic cartographic projections. Proc. VII National Oceanography Week. 1994.
- Melo, E. & J.H.G.M. Alves. On the arrival of long traveled swell at the Brazilian Coast. Proc. of XIII Brazilian Association of Hydric Resources. 1993.
- Alves, J.H.G.M.. On the arrival of North Pacific long traveled swell at the Rio de Janeiro coast. Proc. VI National Oceanography Week. 1993.
Research and Technical Reports
- Alves, J. H. G. M., Y. Y. Chao and H. L. Tolman, 2005: The Operational North Atlantic Hurricane Wind-Wave Forecasting System at NOAA/NCEP. NOAA / NWS / NCEP / MMAB Technical Note Nr. 244, 59 pp (5.0 Mb pdf file).
- Tolman, H.L., J.H.G.M. Alves and Y.Y. Chao. A review of operational forecasing of wind generated waves by hurricane Isabel at NCEP. NOAA/NWS/NCEP/MMAB Technical Note Nr. 235, 45 pp. ((6.6 Mb pdf file).
- Banner, ML & Alves, J.H.G.M. . Modelling Spectral Dissipation in the Evolution of Wind Waves Australian National University Supercomputer Facility, Annual Report 1998 (click here)
- Alves, J.H.G.M. A saturation-dependent dissipation function for wind-wave modelling applications. Philophy Doctor Thesis, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. December, 2000 (Abstract)
- Alves, J.H.G.M. Refracao do espectro de ondas oceanicas em aguas rasas: aplicacoes a regiao costeira de Sao Francisco do Sul, SC. (Refraction of wind-wave spectra in shallow waters: applications to the coast of Sao Francisco do Sul, SC, Brazil). Master of Sciences Thesis, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil. July, 1996. (In Portuguese. Abstract in English)
Selected Science Difusion Articles
- Alves, J.H. Grandes ondas do Ceara tem origem em tempestades no Hemisferio Norte (Big waves of Ceara are originated in Northern Hemisphere storms). Published in "O Globo", daily newspaper from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. July 24, 1993. (In Portuguese). See [0.13Mb JPEG file]
- Alves, J.H. O Encanto e a Furia das Ondas Bizarras (The Enchantment and Fury of Bizarre Waves). Published in "O Globo", daily newspaper from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. August 30, 1992. (in Portuguese) See [0.4Mb JPEG file]
- Alves, J.H. Mares, a chave para entender o Efeito Estufa (Oceans, the key to understand the Greenhouse Effect). Published in "O Globo", daily newspaper from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. December 8, 1990. (in Portuguese) See [0.2Mb JPEG file]